Wednesday, December 3, 2008

TBE

I have been challenged and stretched by God so much this year. I've been pulled out of my comfort zone and place in situations where I know that had it not been for God, I would not have been able to do it. Two days before I received an email to volunteer for Intervarsity's Big Event weekend, I was praying and asking God what I was suppose to do with all the information/revelations that He was giving me. God was showing me things that I didn't think the Jr. High population would get and I was not involved in any other ministries and then came the email Of course I did not hesitate in responding saying yes to volunteering as a small group leader in the track called "Living for Jesus".
I had about three weeks to prepare for this weekend and so I began praying and fasting. Somewhere along the line I began to think "what was I thinking? These are college students who are looking to live for Jesus in their homes, communities and college campuses. Who am I to speak into their lives?" So fear began to creep into my heart. I was worried that maybe I should not have responded so quickly, or I should've actually prayed about it before responding. However, the more I began to fear and worry, the more I sought the face of God. Despite the fear, I had a peace that this is where I should spend the weekend of Halloween.
So as I was in prayer and fasting God reminded me of a lesson I had taught the Jr. High kids. I had taught on Gideon's army. In older times and in some Asian cultures, in times of war, the oldest male would go because it was his duty. When Gideon told the men to go away if they were afraid or timid, a lot of them left because they probably had just showed up because it was their duty. God told me to expect great things from Him this weekend and not to just show up. I became even more excited because I was expecting God to meet these college students in such a powerful way.
Two days before I was set to leave, I was in prayer and God said to me "I don't want you to just show up. I want you to expect great things from me". All the while, I only thought about the college students, about how awesome it was going to be to see them be blessed and I never thought that I could fall into the same trap of just showing up because I had signed up. So I felt challenged and encouraged by God and excited for a great weekend.
Friday night I asked my small group what their expectations were for the weekend and they told me and I wrote them down and said that I would pray for God to meet those expectations or at least speak to them concerning the expectations and the answers. Saturday afternoon we met again and studied John 4v1-42. During the discussion God showed me that Jesus met the woman at well doing what she was doing every day. She didn't have to do anything extraordinary and Jesus came and met her. Then God amazed me even more by giving me a word for each of them. It wasn't a general encouraging word, it was specific based on their expectations. I have stood before one person and have been able to speak to that person about their situation, but to receive a word on the spot for 7 people was breathtaking.
All I could do at the end of it all was to stand in awe of God. I honestly didn't know what to say. I didn't know if to pray, sing a song of praise or shout it from the mountain top. I stood amazed by God and how He would use someone like me. It was then I realized how much of an open heaven I stood under. Honestly, I've been saved a long time but I have never been in the position that I was in last weekend, nor have I have been so amazed by God. It was beautiful and humbly and… there are no words to describe it. It reminded me that I was never to become comfortable or complacent in my walk with God. It showed me that I was still being challenged and still moving toward heaven's throne.
So while I went to Big Event to expect great things for the college students in the NY/NJ area, God challenged me to not to just show up but expect great things for my own life and He not only met those students, but He met me and I was blessed because of it. Out of this experience birthed a heart and a desire for college campuses. Looking at my skills and who I am, it's a scary thought but I've learned that with God I can do anything and right now all I can say is yes Lord yes Lord yes, yes, Lord

No comments: